Sunday 27 May 2012

Cheese

This would have to be my favourite topic of all time!
I am so passionate about it that once I get talking about I literally get so excited that I am a bit of laughing entertainment for my family and friends.

I guess the reason I love it so much is it not only is delicious and versatile it was a complete man made accident .

There are many stories about how it first originated but the most common is that originated in the middle east where Arabs would transport or carry milk in sacks which were made from Sheep's stomachs, now the natural rennet from the stomach and the desert heat would cause the milk to curdle and form curds and whey which then found the natural invention of Cheese.
Now when it comes to cheese I believe the smellier the better so bring on the blues, washed rinds and smelly sock cheeses I reckon!
I also believe that it is no question that the French truly know their stuff when it comes to the fine art of cheese making but I do believe we have a wonderful range of fine cheese makers right here in our own back yard.

An example of this is a beautiful little cheesery on the mornington peninsular in Red Hill.

Red Hill Cheese offer a lovely range of blues, washed rinds, feta and Camembert to accompany local wines in the area even naming their cheese after local towns in the area.

They even milk their own goats and get their milk from local farms then once the cheese making has started they use the excess whey as a natural pesticide in local apple and cherry orchids.

To make it better and to save the travel they sell direct from local melbourne farmers markets and some delicatessens or for a nice day out head to their cellar door and try a tasting plate in the beautiful bush land.

I have a really lovely blue cheese recipe that I thought you all may enjoy...

Potato gnocchi with Gorgonzola and roasted walnuts.

Firstly blanch some gnocchi 500 gr you can make your own or purchase some fresh from a local deli.
While that's happening in a pan sauté 1 garlic clove and 1 diced shallots in about 100g of butter.
Now before we go on this dish is almost certainly not good for you.

Then to the butter mixture add a dash of white wine and roughly a cup of cream and season to taste.
Remember Gorgonzola can be quite salty do don't over salt.
One all combined add your cooked gnocchi then crumble over a good Gorgonzola i like to go with less is more in this dish but if u love blue as much as me a bit extra to serve makes a luscious finish.
In a separate pan place some walnuts and toast them up with you guessed it a tsp of butter.
Serve up your gnocchi and garnish with the toasted walnuts and and fresh thyme sprigs
Delish!


No comments:

Post a Comment